I have been home with my little ones now for 3 full years. With a big decision finally sealed, we have decided to stay a one income family. I will be returning to teaching in the Fall in only the tiniest of ways, allowing me to do what I really want to do … be home with my kids.
But, the reality is that we have recently moved. We moved to our dream home in the country. An expensive dream home, with dreadfully drafty windows, repairs required, and unexpectedly high propane bills.
We knew things would be tight for a little while. We were expecting it, and I was ready. We like saving money, and making do with what we have, so as far as cutting our budget down, there wasn’t much that needed cutting. What did need to happen was simple. We needed more money.
I was very confident that I could make a significant amount of money being home with my little ones. And I do. But here’s the trick – I don’t put all my eggs in one basket (figuratively and literally, as I often have one of my boys carrying the egg basket in the morning).
There are 6 ways that I regularly make money from home. Some ways make just a little bit, and some make a lot, but each one plays a role in bringing in money to our household, whether just $20 a month, or much more.
I thought I would share how I make money, because I bet you will find you could do these things too. With a little time and planning, you might be surprised how much you could actually make in a month.
In fact, I could actually be making far more than I am by putting more time in to each venture. But I am careful about what I am doing. I want to make enough money that my family can live comfortably, but not take too much time away from my family either.
After all, I want to be home with my kids to, well, be home with my kids.
Here are 6 ways you might be able to make money at home:
1. Start a blog. Obviously I blog, and I do make money from my blog. My blog is a creative outlet for me. A chance for me to connect with like minded people, and support Mamas and teachers working with children. But recently I have ventured into partnering with a few amazing businesses. If you have a passion for something and love to write, a blog is free to start, and with some time and dedication, can be a very rewarding way to make money at home. Not a ton of money, unless you can devote a ton of time, but more than you might think.
2. Write for someone else’s blog. I write for two blogs other than my own right now. And I actually wrote for a different blogger before I started my own blog. When I started writing for the first blog I had NO experience at all, I was simply passionate about living simply and helping little ones learn. There are a lot of blogs out there that will pay YOU to write for them. Go to your favourite blog, click on the contact form, and shoot off an email – it can be just that easy!
3. Offer social media services. Do you love Pinterest? Could you spend all evening on Facebook? Why not get paid for doing just that! Just as above, there are a TON of bloggers that would love to hire you to do some pinning and facebook scheduling for them.
4. Offer tutoring. As a teacher, this one is a bit more specific to myself. I have a few children that I tutor every week. I used to teach special education and I love working with my special students. But I am sure there is something specific to you too. What are really great at? Baking? Music lessons? Pilates/Yoga? Think of something those in your area might be looking for, and offer it!
5. Refinish furniture. This one I generally don’t do in the winter, and is not one of my husbands favourite activities of mine. I find very inexpensive furniture pieces online, get my hubby to go pick them up after work, put a little TLC and paint on the project, and resell. It is amazing the deals I have found! And this one is good for the soul too – you are saving the landfill from unnecessary waste!
6. Thin and Do-Away. Spring cleaning at it’s best. Choose any room in your house and look at it with a critical eye. Do you have too much stuff? Clear it out. Pop it in a closet of the basement. If you feel better and can do without that clutter for a few weeks, then sell it! Even just a few items can be good for your wallet and your mind. I feel so much better living without clutter.
And there you have it! Those are the 6 ways I regularly make money from my living room. Almost exclusively at my little ones rest time and bedtime.
Being home with my little ones is very important to me. But having enough income so we are not stressed is a very close second.
I hope these ideas find you when you need them!
Thanks for reading!